Sunday, January 1, 2012

African American Readings... Short List

Below is a short list of African American Readings... I am most interested in non-fiction writing. I have plenty more ideas but hoping people can learn from this list and offer suggestions as well.


Ani, Marimba – Yurugu: An African-Centered Critique of European Cultural Thought and Behavior
Baldwin, James – The Fire Next Time; Nobody Knows My Name
Carmichael, Stokeley – Black Power
Crawford, Vikki – Women of the civil Rights Movement
Davis, Angela – Women, Race & Class
Diop, Cheikh Anta - The African Origin of Civilization: Myth or Reality
DuBois, W.E.B. - The Souls of Black Folks
Fanon, Franz - Wretched of the Earth; Black Skin, White Masks
Giddens, Paula – When and Where I Enter
Hill-Collins, Patricia – Black Feminist Thought
Holsaert, Faith S. (ed) – Hands on the Freedom Plow: Personal Accounts by Women in SNCC
hooks, bell – Black Looks; Killing Rage
King Jr., Martin – Where Do We Go From Here?; Letter From a Birmingham Jail
Paton, Alan – Cry, the Beloved Country
Pattillo-Beals, Melba – Warriors Don’t Cry
Tatum, Beverly – Why are all the Black Kids Sitting Together at the Cafeteria Table?
van Sertima, Ivan – They Came Before Columbus
Welsing, Francis Cress- The Isis Papers: The Keys to the Colors
West, Cornell – Race Matters
Sharpley-Whiting, T. Denean – Black Venus: Sexualized Savages, Primal Fears, and Primitive Narratives in French
Woodson, Carter G. – The Miseducation of the Negro
X, Malcolm – By Any Means Necessary; The Ballot or the Bullet

3 comments:

  1. This is an interesting list of books. I will add the ones I haven't read to my list. The whole process of reading, taking notes, researching, and retaining knowledge is exciting to me. To be able to apply and help others is fulfilling.

    The Autobiography of Malcolm X is my favorite book and the primary reason is due to the fact it was the first book I read that really opened me up.

    Here are a few books to check out if you haven't already:

    -Medical Apartheid by Harriet Washington (Reading this one now)
    -Revolutionary Suicide by Huey Newton
    -Philosophy and Opinions of Marcus Garvey
    -Message to the People by Marcus Garvey
    -From Babylon to Timbuktu by Rudolph Winsdor
    -Kill Them Before They Grow by Michael Porter
    -Blood In My Eye by George Jackson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Brothers & Sisters,
    Might I add this book to the list:
    --Bright, Talented, & Black: A Guide for Families of African American Gifted Learners (Joy Davis)

    Looking forward to learning from you all. Great networking idea, Dr. D.
    ABay

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to sharing & gaining the knowledge of others as we seek answers to our questions. I am grateful for this opportunity.

    ReplyDelete